Wednesday, July 11, 2012

House Projects

Talon has been finishing up his last few of school, which means he has been super busy.  Usually that means I'm going crazy at home by myself, but lately I've actually been really productive.  These are some of the projects I've been doing around our house lately.  
I recovered some pillows I got from a garage sale for our living room, and made some tie backs for our drapes.  
 I am definitely less than fond of this red kitchen cabinet with no doors to hide all the food.  We used to have random food sitting on the shelves and it looked like such a mess.  I recovered diaper boxes and got the canisters so now at least it looks a little better!  Now I just need to get an embroidery machine to label my boxes...okay maybe someday!

 I repainted my bathroom, now I just need to find some decorations and material that I can make curtains out of.
 I'm in the process of organizing my craft room...I made these valences in my home decor class in college and they fit perfectly.  I'm so excited to actually have a craft room!
 We're officially a Mormon family now that we have the classic Family Home Evening chart!  I got this for a wedding present but just never painted it until now.  I painted it a dark purple color which I love but sadly it looks black in my living room.
 Everything in Lila's room has been odds and ends from classifieds and garage sales...but I think it turned out cute.  We got this dresser for a steal on the classifieds, but of course after we had it about a week all the drawers started to slide off their tracks.  I was ready to just throw it out, but then I had a brilliant idea...I've always wanted my kids to have a little reading bench under the window.  So I told Talon what I wanted and let him figure it out and do the work.  I'm so glad he's so handy! (Special thanks to my mother-in-law for giving him the deck project, it has paid off well!)
Lila's dresser turned into a bench.
  Now we just need to find a good deal on a crib and get her out of the pack n play.
 I covered another box and made a laundry basket to go in her cubbies, and then made the pillows to go on top.  The crazy looking one is supposed to be a flower, It didn't turn out quite like I was thinking, but I still like it. 
And I love that Lila loves to lay on her little bench, she climbs up there and pretends to read her books all the time, and she likes to sit on it and look out the window to point out the cars.  


I can't wait for the day when I get to go to nice home decor shops and buy cute things for my house, but It's also been fun decorating on a budget and making things myself.  Now our home feels a little bit homier!


6 comments:

  1. Holy cow Natalie you put me to shame! Seriously cute projects! Love your living room and Lila's room, that bench was such a good idea! Good way to re-style a piece of furniture. How did you cover the diaper boxes? With fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kara! Your projects are way cute too! Yeah, I covered the boxes with fabric, there is a tutorial on pinterest I'll have to send to you. It's the best, because you can never have too much storage...and it's cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Nat! Your house looks so cute! Shopping certainly is fun but it is so rewarding to see hard work come out so cute! p.s. Lila is so big!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE when you update!
    & I hope we can get together in a couple weeks!

    But okay first, you have been so productive, I can't believe how much you get done and make it all look so cute. I swear when I have projects they get done fast and look sloppy! I REALLY like that bench for Lila's room... you are so creative Leelee! Her room turned out really cute! You'll have to help me with my house in California, we don't even live there yet and I'm already freaking out!

    and good luck with getting the crib! I'm stressing over it, we went and looked and it was like UGH I don't know what I want and I don't want to spend a lot... and seriously.. the mattresses are out of the world! We will definitely be getting a "low end" mattress but my jaw dropped when I saw that some people pay like $400 for a crib mattress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well tell Talon he did a great job on the dresser/window seat!! You are so crafty! I would never have guessed those were boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your home! You have done so much work and it looks awesome. You have the redo it talent. Good job! Love you!

    ReplyDelete